Sunday, October 11, 2009

Long Awaited

The previous owner of our boat had outfitted her with a 400-disc DVD changer and a flat screen television. Because of my obsession with everything feng shui, I loathe clutter and rid myself of my meager DVD collection years ago. Ben loathes clutter, too, I'd assume because when I met him, he came complete with an outfit, a backpack and a laptop. Needless to say, we had no use for a DVD player, much less a 400-disc DVD changer, so we gave it away to a friend who, I'm guessing, still has yet to load a single DVD into that monster. The TV had to go, too, for many reasons, but mainly because every time we sat at the settee, we bumped our heads on it.

Here are the before pictures:













The giant hole in the side of our navigation station/closet was once home to that monster DVD player. Because of this hole, we've not had a hanging rod in our closet for more than fourteen months. During that time, we've been storing our clothes in deep, dark crevices of Mother Culture. This makes for difficult searches and lots of wrinkles. Being female, one of my main concerns on this boat was closet space. I like to think of myself as a "Master Organizer" (can't you tell by the mess in the bottom of the closet- pictured above?!), but organization on a boat can feel a bit defeating. The storage spaces are oddly shaped, mostly deep and dark, typically in hard-to-reach or inconveniently-located spaces. It's enough to drive a girl crazy. This week, I decided to do something about it. With a little help from my Ben, we reconstructed a wall on which to secure a closet pole which will: 1) offer a new (better) place to hang clothes and 2) open up some of the more obscure storage spaces for other messes (such as the one pictured above in the bottom of the closet!)

Here are the after pictures:










Eventually we will find a painting or other cool decoration to hang over the unsightly hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment