Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mommie Dearest

We got taken on a wild ride last night. We've heard rumors of wind speeds anywhere from 50 MPH to 125 MPH. The brunt of that only lasted ten seconds or so, but it always feels like longer when you're at the mercy of Mother Nature. I wasn't sure if I should jump ship and make a mad dash for shore or wait it out. Oddly, my safest bet seemed to be to wait it out, so I did.  So much for mild San Diego weather.  Anywho, here is a video to complement the one from last night... and some pictures below of the aftermath.

Possibly the light at the end of the tunnel?

A sunken dinghy

Jaybird's bowsprit was destroyed when a runaway boat went careening into his

The front of this electrical box was torn off

Used to be the home of the wind generator

The hinges remain, but the lazarette cover is long gone

This strut used to hold up our solar panel before it was ripped free and chucked into our cockpit

What remains of our wind generator (besides the pole and supports, of course)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So sorry you had such damage (but good you didn't get hurt). Hope you can get back up and in-power shortly. (If anyone could figure out how to do that, I'll bet Ben can.)

    In hindsight (and looking to the future), is there any way you could stow the panels and wind generator in time, should another similar storm occur?

    I've heard of microbursts occasionally, but none in your area. The real danger, as I understand it, is with aircraft taking off (and worse, landing). Any problems with your local airport?

    Again, so sorry for your problems. Good luck in getting things back in shape.