Sunday, March 1, 2009

Respect Your Mother



It's Sunday and, once again, the sun is shining brightly upon the bay.

As Lola and I returned to the dock after a morning walk, we were cheerfully greeted by a fellow neighbor who expressed his gratitude for another beautiful day on the water.

I rowed back to Mother Culture feeling warm and fuzzy. :)

****

So many people don't understand the impact they have on our earth. Or they just don't care. This seriously disheartens me. I'm not saying I'm perfect. But I am ALWAYS conscious of my actions. Whenever I buy a bottle of Vitamin Water, I feel guilty, wondering where the crappy plastic bottle will actually end up after I throw it in the recycle bin. When I forget my travel mug on the boat and I grab a coffee in a go-cup, I want to shield my face from the environmentalists peering at me with disgust.

"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching."

Unfortunately, so many people don't do the right thing even if everybody is watching. So many people think it's not their job to protect the earth. And oddly, these are the same people who are procreating and will eventually hand this tattered earth down to their children. I empathize with those children.

****

I grew up in a family with three children. For a long time, our family car was a 2-door, 1966 (is that right, Dad?!) Chevy Corvair. Can someone please tell me why (aside from the increasing weight problems in this country) a family of 5 could fit into a 2-door sedan back in the 80's & 90's, but today the same size family seems to need an SUV? (That is a rhetorical question. There is absolutely no reason any family NEEDS an SUV...) And don't even get me started on those people who drive to work by themselves every day in an SUV.

****

I work from home, on a laptop and an extra monitor. I work mostly 8 to 10 hour shifts, on SOLAR ENERGY alone. We can all do more. Respect Mother Earth.

****

(Note: Five years ago, I, too, drove an SUV to work, alone, every day. I also smoked cigarettes and probably threw the butts on the ground when I was done. Please realize, it's never too late to admit you were wrong and make a positive change.)

No comments:

Post a Comment